11.15.2008


James Abbott McNeill Whistler, The Balcony, 1879-80, Etching.

I'm posting something not by me today. The etchings of Whistler are a major inspiration for my work. Years ago I took a number of printmaking courses and Whistler's etchings were a constant source of ideas. His style has continued to influence me even now that I no longer create etchings of my own. The simplicity and boldness of his line-work and the sparseness of his compositions feel very contemporary to me. People often point out the unfinished, sketch-like quality of my drawings and I take that as a compliment. Whistler's etchings demonstrate to me that a piece does not have to appear "polished" to be complete.

This is a crude scan from an old exhibition catalogue I have. Click the image for a larger and better view.

1 comment:

Erica Kelly said...

wow the zoomed view really did it for me - i can really see the resemblance between his work and yours. keep it up! its good to know you have something to aspire to and to take inspiration from :)

Archive